Fom position statement and the future…….
We now have a large body of work – two proceedings volumes, a seminar series. It is time to take stock;
- We do not think the case for physicalism is proven
- Conversely, the structure of law in our society seems to assume free will; the structure of math seems to assume Platonism;
- While science can assert the existence of subjectivity as ontologically real, the details of its characterization fall to artists and spiritual leaders
- Having established dualism, Platonism and free will as working hypotheses, we find a link with mainstream cognitive science by constraining quantum observation to Turing machine-equivalent systems working in an intentional mode
- We are now branching out to issues like technology in society, eg
The talks on Sept 12 will be more informal. Confirmed so far are
- Adam Krause (Cal) on sleep
- Wolfgang Baer (Nascent systems) on consciousness as a force
- Anthony di Franco (Yale) on computer programming using informational constraints and the relevance to language
- Sean O Nuallain will talk about his new monograph which is outlined here at http://consciouslifenews.com/search-consciousness-cynthia-sue-larson-interviews-sean-o-nuallain/
- Richard Hiersch will perform the song “Nature boy” with Melanie O’Reilly and pleas note what its history tells us about the subjective states it specifies; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nature_Boy
The talks will be outdoors in a garden with limes, apples, and grapes and you are welcome to all of them. Please bring a potluck and a bottle………..